Thursday, February 24, 2011

Friday nights with Burke Taylor

In the 1960s New Bern High School athletes did not have a better friend than Mr. Burke Taylor. Mr. Taylor was an automobile dealer in New Bern early in that industry's history. He originally sold Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs. The story, as I was told was he received a medical diagnosis that his time was limited. He sold his business to Mr. Don Deichman. He continued to live and decided to sell Dodges which he did for many years. However he did continue to drive Cadillacs. He was a classic southern gentleman. He wore a  Stetson Rancher style felt hat. The type that has a narrower brim. He smoked great cigars. He helped young people when they wanted to start a business when banks wouldn't. You could see folks stopping by his office to seek advice and make payments for personal loans.

Mr. Taylor was a dear friend to my grandfather. As a physician my grandfather always wanted to have dependable transportation. He made house calls. So the family story goes he bought a new car each year. I guess buying dozens of cars will endear you to an auto dealer. My father retired from the military and moved back home when his father was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Papa passed away after we had been home less than eighteen months. Mr. Taylor became a father figure, mentor and best friend for my Dad. When my Dad entered politics, Mr. Taylor always served as his campaign manager.

For years and years Mr. Taylor was the biggest booster for New Bern Athletics. When trophies were passed out to the athletes Mr. Taylor had paid for them. If the school had a need I am sure he got a call. He was so appreciated by the school that during home football games he had a parking space inside the fence just behind the end zone. His influence was so great that the athletic director would arrange the same privilege at away games. He would invite my dad to go to all the New Bern games with him. We would pile into his huge Cadillac. Dad and Mr. Taylor would be in the front. My sister, myself and Mr. Taylor's grandaughter Juliet would be in the back. Usually the away game trips would include a stop at Wilbur's or King's for good old NC style bar-b-que. Good friends, good food and a great ball game, what could be better?

He was a great mentor for my father. Mentors can be such a blessing. Unfortunately time seems to remove them from your life. Often times you don't appreciate what you have until they are gone. I wish I could ride in the backseat of a big 1966 Cadillac and listen to Mr. Taylor and my Dad one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment